Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Friday, July 08, 2005

Hmm: We'll See

Somewhere back in these ponderings, I suggested that god is no longer on the side with the biggest battalions, but on the side withthe fewest morons.

The moron quotient has once again shifted in favour of the Bush-Blair axis.

It is past time that we stopped endowing our adversaries with the attributes of godlike invincibility, and began appreciating them for what they are: idiots. One can natter all one wants about the logic of terrorism when considered through the lens of game theory. We aren't dealing with mathematical super-geniuses here. We are dealing with people whose hindbrains have taken over.

Care to advance another explanation for bombing a population that is all too familiar with the experience, in the hopes that it will scare them? Or perhaps one would like to explain why, if these people are so smart, they didn't realise that packed human bodies will muffle any explosion? My own explanation is they aren't bright enough. If they were, they'd appreciate that terrorism of this sort has existed as long as portable explosives have existed, that the terror effect of such explosives has always been overrated, and that no one, ever, has achieved any policy objectives with bombs of this sort. That, I suggest, is rational choice applied to terrorism.

I confess to subjectivity. I have relatives in the UK, London commuters, from whom I've been estranged for many years. I find that estrangement doesn't reduce anxiety very much at moments like this. I hope that they are all well. I hope that with somewhat more intensity than I hope for the appropriate extinction of the fools who have done this evil deed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home