Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Try it; you'll like it

I buy most of my adult beverages at Vinnin Square Liquors, which is the Swampscott section of an odd commercial intersection of Swampscott, Marblehead, and Salem. They carry a highly credible selection of craft beer, but every one in a while they go off in daring and unpredictable directions.

Last spring they invested heavily in the retro version of Narragansett beer, and I can only hope they made back their investment. I did buy a six-pack, for old times' sake. My immediate reaction was "Christ Jesus! We used to drink this shit??" I soldiered on through another can, and saved the rest as slug repellent for the back yard.

Someone must drink it, because it has showed up there periodically amongst the more respectable labels.

Yesterday, it showed up in company with something new and different: Narragansett porter in 16 oz. cans. The price was down at the range of "Not even you, beer snob, can walk past this display."

Since it was cheaper than Diet Coke, I figured what the hell, and paired a six of the porter with a six of Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA. The check-out guy (whose judgment is usually good) offered a small wager that I'd like it.

Well, I opened the first one tonight. I figure that one thumb up is high praise for Nasty-gansett, and I'll give it that. It is lighter than I like in a porter, but it's also has a good deal more authority, shall we say, than I ever expected in a Gansett product. Just as certain brewers (who shall remain nameless) brew IPAs for people who don't like hoppy beer, I think Gansett aimed for a porter for people who don't like porter. Somehow, they ended up with something that is drinkable and interesting.

Keep at it, Narragansett. Be bold and you may hit on the magic potion.

(The Latitude 48 is also a move in the right direction.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home