Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Doomed by unfriending

Sometimes I think we, the world's crazees, represent the last bastion of actual sanity. This is on my mind because, first, I googled how to "unfriend" someone on Facebook. What you get in this thread is enough to convince anyone that one is the last sane person on earth. Look, pilgrims, we are just clicking a button here to remove someone's access to one's information. We are not fighting a duel. Nor, as this item suggests, are we making (necessarily) a political statement that we should consider carefully. We just do not want to communicate with this person any longer. For our own reasons.

I suppose it's part of the warm and fuzzy new Facebook that their Help no longer warns users against unfriending people, suggesting that they can't ever again be friends. Instead, they give a straight answer to the how-to question. Any former suggestions of dire consequences are gone.

The person I unfriended had irritated me several ways: first by ignoring me a number of times and most recently with a piece of tactless comedy that went over several lines. Although it seems like time to end what little was left of the actual friendship, I would probably not have unfriended her were it not for all the thou-shalt-nots. Those are not the best thing to wave in front of a card-carrying contrarian.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger massmarrier said...

The friending thing is giggle making. I have quite a few FB friends who are pols. Some I know well, but most neither they now I would do the proverbial rescue from a burning building to save.

I think more of my firstborn at three or four. The kids in the nursery school were just getting the hang of this friend thing. Parents and teachers could hear them trying to bribe favors from each other, invariablyfacksc concluding, "I'll be your friend."

6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home