Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Saturday, January 22, 2005

TN Milestone

Went to the Salem Beer Works tonight. It was a struggle avoiding Hercules, the barley wine that is usually one of their better offerings. Instead, for my experimental beverage I chose Muddy River Porter. On the one hand, it's debatable whether stouts or porters fairly belong under a prohibition like the one I've been living with. They are arguably more food than beverage. On the other hand, I got a 22 ounce glass and put a liberal interpretation on the idea of "one beer." Maybe next time I'll get a growler.

All's well. Head's a wee bit sore but nothing worse, so we have progress.

This is a nice step up for a week in which, otherwise, I've been falling apart. Wednesday I woke up to the personal fireworks display that can warn of a detached retina. Of course it did, and in the left eye. I already unhinged the right retina two years ago. Turns out I'm peculiarly prone to this sort of thing. This from my opthamologist, who was unable to fix it with his laser toy. From the glee he gets using the thing, I wonder if the good doctor's comment didn't harbour a bit of resentment.

On the way home from that I broke a tooth, thereby assuring myself of several expensive dental visits. What bothers me here is that I'm skidding rapidly past the mere "arrr" level of piratical re-enactment, and heading straight for Blind Pew. I'll have to get out Treasure Island and learn the lines. Arrr!!!

I see I left this in cliffhanger mode. On the Saturday the blizzard started, I trekked out to Peabody for the next eye surgeon to have a whack. That turns out to be a fairly accurate description of the procedure. Seems they all like their toys. Got both eyes dilated (this was a surprise part of the programme, and it's good my wife came along). Examined by a nurse, then a preoccupied intern, finally the Great Man. The intern's preoccupation was the snow, then starting to fall. It developed she was from Southern California, and was not comforted by hearing snowfall predictions in feet. So, two MDs, two machines and about an hour later (an hour spent staring at an imaginary spot over my left shoulder: try it sometime) the deed was done.

The big trouble with this business is that you're not 100 percent afterward. All concerned maintain this polite fiction that you are. You can still see, anyway, and you have your own private visual display that travels with you and is a conversation piece to compare with other people who have had the job done. The flashers don't entirely go away, and there are always a few floaters, mostly leftover blood and damaged tissue that still rattles around in the aqueous humour, having nowhere else to go. You do get rid of the really annoying black spots, which are the fresh blood. Arrr, 'tis bad enough bucking for Blind Pew without having the Black Spot to contend with, matey! What I want to find out is whether you can get the flashers synchronised. At the moment, the left and right eye are syncopated. The left set are still fairly frequent, the right ones less so, out of time. I'd like them to flash together. If we could incorporate a backup beep as part of my neural arrangements, between the two things I'd qualify for commercial plates. The floaters also raise hell with viewing through a light microscope, making it easy to see things that aren't there and miss things that are. On the other hand, in 10th grade Biology I seldom saw anything but my own eyelashes, so I figure I'm still ahead.

Huzza! Two beers today! We do progress. The side effects of Tegretol seem to be diminishing one by one. It's a tad annoying that the two most persistent are bouts of really spectacular depression, and zero (I mean ZERO...Dim...Nada...Bupkis) libido.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home