Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Perspective

Most of my fellow workers spent the day wringing their hands for me after the Artery tunnel crash, knowing I drive that way every day. I slyly encouraged the bereavement. If this ends in closing and rebuilding of the access tunnel, then I'm back at work on the resume, because that route is the only thing that makes sane an otherwise irrational commute. I'm not sharing that opinion in the office. Also, a few years of commuting teaches one the virtues of alternate routes, and I had mine chosen.

I crossed the GE Bridge, unofficial gate to the North Shore, about 15 minutes off my usual time. The rest of the trip sucked, since the home grounds had been spectacularly hammered by thunderstorms.

Arrived home to discover that a house about 100 metres way had been struck by lightning and set afire, with fortunately minor damage. Peeled the hysterical cats off the cellar walls and took my wife to supper.

That sort of thing does force one to put other issues in perpsective.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine G. said...

I work in Marblehead and live up near Haverhill. My commute with no tunnels dropping slabs on my head is about an hour a day. Each way. 25 miles.

I actually have refused to work south of Woburn if I had to do a 95 commute, and am willing to work as far north as Southern Maine -because it is a far easier commute to go 80 miles to the north than it is to go 20 miles to the south.

may your commute be blessed and safe. i would look into telecommuting if your company allows it.

2:29 pm  
Blogger Uncle said...

Well put, thank you, and diolch yn fawr.

1:10 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home