Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Monday, August 31, 2009

Embracing the Penguin


The moment of critical discount having arrived, I have plunged for a netbook loaded with Ubuntu Linux. This is a moment that satisfies my inner geek as well as my self-respect. The idea has been to have at least one machine in this household running Linux for about three years now, and it's happened at last. Goes to prove that eventually I can do this shit. I switched from Microsoft Office to Open Office some months ago, with nary a hiccup in functionality or interoperability. I have a Puppy Linux bootable CD for the desktop machine, but bootable CDs hardly signify. When life gets difficult, you can reboot, pull out the CD and run back to Uncle Bill. Still, Puppy is cool. If you have a reasonably modern machine that lets you boot from a flash drive, you can boot it from your flash drive and operate the whole damn thing from the flash.

I love Linux already. The netbook will take some adjustment, chiefly because there's not a lot of real estate on the keyboard. I keep putting the heels of my hands on the wrong places. The screen resolution is fine; about anything I need by way of peripherals I can plug in, it's a damn sight easier to carry around than a laptop and much easier to operate than a smart phone (at least, if you're digitally challenged).

For the moment, these thoughts still come to you from the desktop, but I'll be moving its Firefox bookmarks to the netbook shortly, and so be able to carry on my mockery from anywhere.

Oh, and why penguins anyway? I refer you to this pair of quotes from Linus Torvalds, initiator of the Linux kernel. And you thought developers weren't funny.

2 Comments:

Blogger massmarrier said...

Ooo, ooo. Do tell, particularly about the keyboard. Cost center 1 got a netbook. With big, ole fingers he inherited from me, he says touch typing is tough, particularly with the tilde on the "wrong" upper row. Let us know if you get comfortable with it. Otherwise, he carps only about the battery time, which is lower than promised. I've been reading about 10 hour on some though. Lead on, oh pioneer.

7:09 pm  
Blogger Uncle said...

My Dell mini hath the tilde where it belongs. However, it's a half-sized key and easy to miss.Finding the pint-size Del key was an adventure too.

What I'm forever doing is grazing the touch pad when I reach for the upper rows and sending the pointer into the next county. I'm being pigheaded about using the touch pad instead of wimping out and getting a mouse, but that in particular may drive me there very soon.

Amen: my "three-hour" battery charges to two hours 20 minutes; not the same thing, Mr Wizard. I've been seeing the long life batteries on EBay etc. and I think that's an important upgrade. Stay tuned.

7:53 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home