Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Monday, June 04, 2012

I'd rather have tourists

Let us all be joyful. My little town has been invaded by Hollywood, courtesy no doubt of the Massachusetts Film Office. All of this began about a fortnight ago, and is likely to continue well into the summer.

In theory, all this is supposed to be great for business. The film crew's purchases are supposed to boost local businesses. Umm, well, they travel as independently as a Bedouin tribe. They even have their own catering, presumably so that cast and crew aren't tainted by East Coast eating.* Their presence in this place or that is indicated by yellow plastic signs reading "GU 2," with directional arrows and subtexts like "crew parking" or "extras." This doesn't penetrate very deeply into the local mind. The town is a notoriously easy place to get lost in, so anything from a 20-person cookout to a wedding for 500 on The Neck sprouts directional signs. If the signs don't involve us, we filter them out.

A mysterious lighted sign sprouted today, warning that one of our main drags will be shut down from 10 a.m to 1a.m., Friday into early Saturday. It's possible the town is actually fixing something, or that aliens are landing, but smart money is on another film disruption.**

About ten days back, most of my neighbourhood lost its cool when they were shooting on the beach at the end of my street. Almost everyone went wafting down the street to get a whiff of celebrity culture. My spouse and I cemented our reputations as resident curmudgeons by having better things to do. I've seen enough film, stage and video productions to know there's a dreary sameness to all these things, and I wouldn't cross the room to meet a star.

Word is the town is getting paid, directly, a handsome piece of change to put up with this nonsense. It's said that people and businesses who have been directly affected have walked away with large cheques. They haven't pressed any money into my hands yet at any rate.

* OK, I was hasty. Tonight (Thursday 6/7) I went to the first-rate New York deli down the street for our weekly fix and found them pushing out an order of 150 sandwiches for the cast and crew. If they keep that up, I'm converted.

** Suspicions confirmed. The alien landing would have been more interesting...unless they have a chase scene ;-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home