Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A new day?

Over the weekend I was reading that the election of Barack Obama signals a new day for millions of Americans with "unAmerican" names. Speaking as one of them, I rather hope so. I found myself in a meeting today with a woman whose name is equally "unAmerican. " We shared a moment of ironic eye contact, hoping briefly that it might be true, before settling down to business.

It would be nice to have a lifetime of great and small indignities begin to evaporate with this inauguration. That lifetime inspires me to skepticism. I hope it happens, but I'm afraid it won't. We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home