Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Recurrent Pet Peeve

When I wear the higher grade of foul weather jacket, I am usually in some place where I have one thing in mind besides being cool. That thing is being seen should I lose consciousness, lose my boat, or find myself otherwise in deep nautical shit.

Despite a culture which values SUVs that never go off road, and expedition pants for people who never take expeditions except to the mall, I do think that a critical mass of people who buy such things as foul weather gear share my concern. We like colours not seen in nature, thank you very much.

Last Sunday, the Globe reviewed foul weather gear and I went in pursuit, shortening the list to the North Face and EMS candidates.

EMS, I'm sorry to day, thinks the best colour choices are black, navy and dark green...just the thing to wear floating in an angry ocean. The North Face has something cutely called "yam," which resembles an orange slickah that's been around too many fish guts and diesel fuel. It's the closest thing I can see to a safe colour in apparel which should at least help to keep one safe.

In foul weather gear, I think it's time yellow became the new black. Geez.

2 Comments:

Blogger malevolent andrea said...

When I first read *That thing is being seen should I lose consciousness while wearing it*, I totally misinterpreted it in a "always wear clean underwear in case you need to go to the ER" kind of way. Which made the next paragraph less comprehensible than it actually is. Oh, reading comprehension, why have you deserted me?

But, to the point, my down jacket is off-white/ivory, which is awesome for crossing the street at night, but not so awesome should I pass out face first into a snowbank. I'm just hoping my bright green hat--or my bright red blood should there be a horrible snowblower incident--would alert the neighbors.

2:26 pm  
Blogger Uncle said...

I dunno: your reading comprehension or my writing skills at the end of the week? That may need an edit.

A pilgrimage to the North Face store in Boston didn't find me my jacket in "yam." I did see enough "yam" to confirm my original hypothesis: it's dirty orange, and I ordered it online.(They might have called it pumpkin, but perhaps some focus group thought that sounded too fat.) It will be safe enough, as long as I avoid passing out whilst raking autumn leaves.

1:28 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home