Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Friday, March 06, 2009

The Dark Side of Fifties comics redux

I'm not talking about the avowedly dark ones, either, but the allegedly G-rated Disney comics. Nor am I talking about the fact that most of the male characters went around without pants, which probably had a lot to do with how this twig got bent.

What I recall was how, in his character of resilient but hapless loser, Donald Duck was generally out of work. I recall this because, yet again, I find myself wondering about all these people who apparently have never been laid off or had to worry about being laid off.

I've been out of work as much as Donald Duck, and so have a good many other people, and I wonder how the fuck these people missed being run over by this bus. They don't carry it well, I've been noticing: very poor form. They didn't have the possibility in mind, evidently, because they're mostly arse over teakettle in debt. And they whine...oh, how they whine!

One question I have is whether any of these nouveau jobless will learn anything from the experience. I think not. They managed to avoid learning anything about the chances of life vicariously, and I don't see them taking away constructive lessons from the direct experience.

On the whole, I prefer Duckville.

1 Comments:

Blogger crispix67 said...

Well, Donald did have that rich uncle. Though his name was Scrooge McDuck, I believe, so maybe he wasnt that much help.

Every time I drive by the groups of Hispanic men waiting for someone to pick them up for some work, I wonder how many whites and blacks would do the same. Would they stand in the hot or cold weather, waiting, hoping someone comes along who needs something done and needs a man to help...and what if no one does come, no money is made that day.

Or is it beneath them?

I think (no, I didnt always think this way, but moving here has changed my view) that every able person who *wants* to work can find work.

9:39 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home