Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Monday, November 30, 2009

Two things for which to be grateful

This is, of course, the gratitude season, so I dug around and without much difficulty found two things I can be grateful for: small and big.

Small: I've been doing traditional archery for three years now. Of course I lost half of last year due to shoulder surgery, and I lose most winter practise to The Beast. I am not the most ept of people, and sports of any kind don't come easily to me. Yesterday I went, despite concern over the temperature and the possibility of bringing out The Beast.

The air may have been cold but I was hot! I have never shot so well. This shows the truth that being "naturally" skilled at any sport just indicates that you're willing to put in the time and learn from the times when things don't go well, so that you can begin to perform at a level consistent with what you've learned.

Big: Speaking of The Beast, trigeminal neuralgia for the uninitiated. I am entering my tenth month of remission. The warning signs have appeared, suggesting it is coming back. One must not dwell on what will come (and it will; once one has this companion it is always ready to bite) but reflect on what has happened and is happening. This is my longest remission in several years, since the early stages of the disorder. The Beast has been an unwelcome guest at most Thanksgiving gatherings since it began, but it did not appear this time. I ate my dinner. I walked four miles on the beach in blustery, bracing weather. Every day is a gift. Every day without attacks is something to use and enjoy.

This is an important exercise in living in the present, and I'm trying to learn from that and overcome my native pessimism. Live long and prosper.

2 Comments:

Blogger massmarrier said...

Remission is keen. It must be regular ale, no?

12:27 pm  
Blogger Uncle said...

Ale is a sovereign remedy, after all. Also, all my meds caution that alcohol intensifies their effect, which seems to be true.

9:19 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home