Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Round the bend

My associates have often found reason to shake their heads at my fondness for outre sports. Well, I have finally gone round the bend and participated in several ends of curling.

Yes, curling. This is a more benign form of a sport passionately followed throughout the northern latitudes, to the utter confusion of Americans saturated in industrial-scale athletics. Floor curling is suitable for basketball courts. The stones are relatively small. Instead of riding down the pitch on a surface of ice stimulated by sweeping, they ride on a triad of large ball bearings. But the concentration and enthusiasm is the same, and I can see where much of it is excellent training for the real thing.

After seeing a notice for the sport, I had dropped in at the Senior Centre to see if they were for real. Alas, one side were one short of the required four, and in short order I was surrounded and persuaded to take part.

I sucked.

However, it was enough of a learning experience that I'll be back when I can. Och aye.

PS: Murphy's Law has long dictated that as soon as I congratulate myself on keeping the Beast under control, it slips its chains. Things are not so good on the TN front.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home