Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Saturday, March 12, 2005

More TN Milestones

Saw the neurologist today. He's happy with my progress and has put me on taper.

Swimmers taper when they vary the duration and intensity of their training in preparation for a competition. Apparently, TN groupies taper to get them off effective but disruptive medications like Tegretol. So, I'm to drop 100 mg a week until I'm taking nothing. If this works, I can then stay off the stuff until the nasty visitor comes back.

Why do this? Tegretol, while effective, is somewhat toxic. It's also lipid-soluble, which means that the more you take, the less you piss away. If you just stop, you will throw your neural system a curve that can make the original condition look like a walk in the park. Finally, if you go on taking it, you develop a tolerance for the medication and it loses effectiveness. By the time I end this taper, it will be late April. Even this year, the weather should be moderate enough to cooperate with my treatment.

Despite other irritations, that's good news for today. I may have TN tamed for a while. If I can get off the meds, I can go back to being fit company for man and beast. I should also be able to get it up, and care about doing so. O Frabjous joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home