Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Didn't I already say this?

February sucks, even for healthy people, in this climate. Well, it sucks for those of us who have to stay indoors most of the time.

To dispense with Beast news first of all. We seem to be at a draw. This will delight my PCP when I next see her, and also spare me more drugs...I hope.

To reach the stasis I've achieved, one must a) remain indoors most of the time b) be wrapped up beyond anything an Inuit would consider normal when outside c) take many, many pills. Mind, this doesn't cure anything. It does change the character of Beastly assaults, so that I get several days off between episodes. During all the time I've had TN, I had been puzzled by the comparison of the sensations to electric shock. I've had electric shocks, and I didn't see the analogy. I thought it was more like someone rapidly firing nails into my head.

I understand it better, now that things have changed. I get the electricity, but at longish intervals. However, let's put aside the thought that the quiet days will have to be paid for. We take what we can get.

I've been making good use of those days off with good reading. My default literature has been Mark Twain's autobiography, a delightful Christmas gift. It's structure is such that one can read portions at a time, put it down, then pick it up some days later.

The other thief of my time has been Abraham Verghese’s Cutting for Stone. Although this novel, by a physician, has a good deal that engages those of us with some clinical training, I'm finding it is as much of a page-turner for laypeople. Most of it is set in Ethiopia, and I bring more than a casual interest to that country. I came within a hairs' breadth of going there in the Navy, to Eritrea actually, at a moment when neither side exactly welcomed US presence. The context I struggled to understand 40 years ago is somewhat clearer now.
I'm an inveterate repeat reader, so I'll be going through this again.

There's work, too, but I'm holding to my policy of staying off that subject in the blogosphere.

Anyway, here I am.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home