Scratches

Comments on life, the universe and everything from an aging Sixties survivor.

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Ummm, isn't "about me" part of the point of the blog?

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Absolutely Random

1. Back in September, I bemoaned my daughter's ill-developed taste in beer. She came home for Christmas and I resolved on a plan. Bought some Sam Light for her and said "you drink light beer here, you drink this (or an equivalent alternative)."

I think she's worked her taste buds up a notch.

2. Because I could not stomach watching Capt. Brylcreem's exit circus, I watched the end of Ford's endless funeral.
a) I served in the Navy's Bluejacket choir. Did we have to have the Army chorus?
b) Biased as I am, I think "The Navy Hymn" is the most reflective and dignified piece of music associated with any armed service, possibly excepting the British Army's "Last Post." I was extremely pissed off to hear it played by an Army band.
c) After a century of experiment, it is good to see the Army back in dress blue, even if they try to one-up the Navy.

3. I have two words for anyone who doesn't think the championship process for Div. 1-A football is broken beyond repair: Boise State.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you don't like hearing The U.S. Army Chorus. You'll have to ask Betty Ford why she and Jerry always liked us over the Navy Sea Chanters, from their days in the White House down to the present. We sang for the opening of the Ford Museum, for it's renovation/rededication around 10 years later, for the dedication of the Gerald Ford Ampitheatre in Vail CO (1986?)and for every "Ford and Friends" charity concert there for the next 10 years. Not to mention Ford birthdays and other events in Washington.

The reason you saw The U.S. Army Chorus at Gerry Ford's funeral was this long-standing personal relationship with the Fords.

Besides, we need to show the Navy up somehow, since we can't beat them at football.

Sgt. Major Robert Petillo
Senior Soloist
The U.S. Army Chorus

4:05 am  
Blogger Uncle said...

Well, Sgt. Major, there's no accounting for taste, is there? (winks). If the family are fine with it, OK by me. You did a good job with the Navy Hymn...for the Army.

Can we look forward to your rendition of "Anchors Aweigh" after Navy beats Army again next year? Now *that* would be a tradition.

11:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember back in 1972, while I was in the Bluejacket Choir at NTC, San Diego we had to sing all the services' songs! At least when we went on the Tonight Show we only had to do "Anchors Aweigh"!

6:37 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home